Medical Specialty Camps
If you are looking for opportunities to gain experience working with children who are living with disabilities or chronic illnesses, check out these medical specialty camps in our region.
Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital
Phase 1 Child Life Student Field Experience
The Phase 1 Field Placement at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital offers students:
- Structured field hours directly with patients and families in a pediatric health care setting under the direct supervision of a Certified Child Life Specialist. This may include interactions with patients in playroom or bedside setting.
- An understanding of the philosophies and goals of Child Life Services gained through observational experiences with Certified Child Life Specialists.
- Exposure to the psychological impact of medical experiences on children and families.
- Opportunities to observe a wide range of the implementation of educational and developmentally appropriate activities.
- An opportunity to conduct an interview with child life professionals, music therapists, and/or hospital schoolteachers within the Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital Child Life Program.
All applicants must submit a recommendation form from a professor or advisor.
Recommendation Form – Review for more detailed information about the program.
Winter Placement: January to April
• Referral deadline: November 1st
Summer Placement: May to August
• Referral deadline: March 1st
Fall Placement: September to December
• Referral deadline: July 1st
Practicums and Internships
If you would like to update program information or have your hospital included on this page, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
AMITA Health Alexian Brothers Women & Children’s Hospital – Internship – Hoffman Estates, IL
Bronson Children’s Hospital – Kalamazoo, MI
IU Health Arnett Hospital – Practicum – Lafayette, IN (not offering summer 2024 practicum)
Lutheran Children’s Hospital – Internship – Fort Wayne, IN
Northshore University Health System – Practicum – Evanston, IL
Parkview Health – Practicum – Fort Wayne, IN
Riley Children’s Health at Indiana University Health – Internship – Carmel/Indianapolis, IN